Monday, February 22, 2016

Word for the Remnant: "You will win this game; watch what I will do"



By Greg Morris, February 17, 2016

The Lord spoke to me last night in a surprising manner.  I was playing the board game RISK with three other young men.  RISK is a military strategy game involving placing armies across a map of the world, and the winner ultimately vanquishes all other opponent’s armies. 

Early on, my position in the game was poor by all accounts.  In fact, it was even joked about around the table – even by me.  I was clearly going to be the first one going home and seemed to just be playing until it became convenient for my opponents' to finally, mercifully, remove my armies from the board.  I remember saying out loud: “This is an exercise in humility”.  No one likes to lose, and I was not enjoying being a non-factor in the game waiting for my inevitable dismissal.  This was the context of my inner framework when I excused myself to the bathroom.

This is when I clearly heard "you will win this game; watch what I will do."  I chuckled to myself, and knew that this thought did not originate with me.  I had not the faintest hope of winning the game, but strangely, this revolutionized my attitude.  I thought to myself: “this will be interesting to watch”, as if I would be a bystander or witness as I continued to play the game.

In all of my years of walking with the Lord and hearing him speak to me in subtle, intuitive ways, I cannot remember a time when He spoke to me about an outcome or event that had yet to occur.  I certainly would not have bet on that particular outcome which was yet to play out.   It would be like betting on a horse after the race had already started – a horse clearly in last place after the first turn.

The game went on for several more hours, and there were a few identifiable factors that ultimately changed the game in my favor.  First of all, the world “superpowers” began fighting against themselves.  They had bigger armies  and began threatening each other on several key borders.  I was able to remain under the radar.  Secondly, I experienced luck, time, and chance.  There were some dice rolls that were favorable, and some key standoffs where I didn’t necessarily gain ground, but didn’t lose ground.  Finally, I began to believe in the word to me.  The longer the game went on, the more I played as if I was going to win.  While subtle, the shift in playing as if I was inevitably going to lose versus playing as a champion was remarkable.  I believe the word itself brought me confidence despite small setbacks.

The colors of the game board slowly changed, and I did eventually win the game to everyone’s amazement.  God’s word to me came true.  I drove home in the wee hours of the morning and wondered: Why would God speak to me about the outcome of a board game?   Of all the things going on in my life, did I really need that particular word?  It became easy for me to understand that this word transcended the game and is a word to His people in this hour.

God’s people are overrun, outmatched, surrounded, exasperated, and seemingly powerless as global events and world powers, rulers, and principalities continue to run the show in this present darkness.  Those in high places ridicule and make jokes about His anointed ones.  Just when we are losing so bad that it seems all hope is gone, that’s when He says to us: "You will win this game.  Watch and see what I will do."  Even as economies collapse, world superpowers flex their muscles, war breaks out, and armies surround Jerusalem, the Lord wants us to know that He will fight for His people and all the world will be amazed.  It’s not about our ability, or cleverness, or luck – it’s about His promises to us.

This morning the Lord further reminded me of the words of Jesus: "The meek shall inherit the earth", and gave me Psalm 4:

"Why do the nations conspire
and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth rise up
and the rulers band together
against the Lord and against his anointed, saying,
'Let us break their chains
and throw off their shackles.'
The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.
He rebukes them in his anger
and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,
'I have installed my king
on Zion, my holy mountain.'
I will proclaim the Lord’s decree:
He said to me, 'You are my son;
today I have become your father.
Ask me, and I will make the nations your inheritance,
the ends of the earth your possession.
You will break them with a rod of iron;
you will dash them to pieces like pottery.'
Therefore, you kings, be wise;
be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Serve the Lord with fear
and celebrate his rule with trembling.
Kiss his son, or he will be angry
and your way will lead to your destruction,
for his wrath can flare up in a moment.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him. 

Then in the early afternoon, a dear friend gave me the following scripture in Ezra 9:8-9:

"But now for a brief moment grace has been shown from the Lord our God, to leave us an escaped remnant and to give us a peg in His holy place, that our God may enlighten our eyes and grant us a little reviving in our bondage. For we are slaves; yet in our bondage our God has not forsaken us, but has extended lovingkindness to us in the sight of the kings of Persia, to give us reviving to raise up the house of our God, to restore its ruins and to give us a wall in Judah and Jerusalem."

And finally, the Lord reminded me of his word in Zechariah 4:6:

"This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty."

Therefore, be encouraged dear saints.  The Lord is going to show up for His people as the world looks on in amazement.  Watch and see what He will do.  Amen.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDENDUM AND CONFIRMATION

This is Mike speaking. The day after I sent out Greg's post above, my mom sent the following email:

"Good morning.  I had to tell you about pinochle last night.  We sat down to play and the thought came to me from Greg's e-mail, 'Play like a champion.'  I didn't give another thought to it until this morning. We played 8 games in 6 hours and my partner and I won all but one game, and my hand took 90 percent of the wins.  We have been playing for 10 years and we all said that had never happened before. This morning I was feeling a little bad about the one-sided win when I heard, 'I was reinforcing Greg's e-mail, remember my promises, and play like a champion.'"

In Matthew 18:16, Jesus said:

"By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be confirmed."

 There is your second witness to this word!


No comments: