Sunday, January 1, 2017

Even Some with Discernment Will Stumble - Part I



A couple days ago my wife and I went on a date night to the local ski resort for some evening skiing. It was nice to get up on the mountain for some fresh air and clear views while the grandparents watched the kids. But I think I skied one run too many because I fell spectacularly the last time down. Somehow I turned too sharply, clipped off one of my skis and fell over. There was a patina of ice on the slope and I slid quickly downhill. I tried to dig in my remaining ski as a brake but flipped around so I was sliding down head first on my back. So I rolled lengthwise to get the ski under me again and tried to dig in the edge. It was tough but eventually I came to rest on the side of the run near the trees.

A compassionate snowboarder brought down my other ski and asked if I was okay. I said yes and thanked him. The fall had pulled the hat and goggles off my head and I just lay there a couple minutes, shaking the ice out of my hair and thinking, "What the heck just happened?"


Which is how I have felt in general recently

Some Will Stumble


This blog has been fairly quiet lately because, to be honest, I sense the time of warning is over. The Lord's judgment is upon America and things will break loose any day. People have either received the message or not.

However, after published my previous post in November, Living in the Time of the Antichrist - The Message of Daniel 11:32-35, I was not expecting to see a fulfillment of the Daniel 11:35 prophecy right away:

"Even some of those with discernment will stumble, so that some of them will be refined, purified and cleansed for an end yet to come at the designated time." (Complete Jewish Bible)


But in fact this is what happened. Christians, even in the "awake" remnant community, have been falling into error and deception all over the place. Personally, in the last couple of weeks I have seen trial and temptation and stumbling too. I was racked with frustration and doubt about prophetic fulfillments a couple weeks ago. Fear, lust, anger and unforgiveness have raised their ugly heads. My older daughter got a gushing nosebleed in the middle of the night that lasted so long I feared she might lose consciousness or have to go to the ER because of blood loss. (It turns out she has an allergy or some strange reaction to artificial food coloring in food!) I have felt rattled and then watching other people I respect stumble has only added to it.


I have seen solid people with prophetic gifts suddenly put forth messages and doctrines that contradict the Scriptures. When reproved, they dig in their heels. A person who is normally sweet-natured and kind wrote a venomous post with false teaching. A ministry I thought was credible and listened to their shows has been exposed for deception and teaching sorcery! I'm seeing people criticize others with harshness and condemnation, creating fractures and divisions among believers.


Folks, Satan & Co. are having a field day. They are probing for weaknesses and stepping up attacks everywhere. The spiritual battle described in Ephesians 6 is real. If the enemy can coax a Christian to fall into sin or deception, they can discredit or derail their ministry and cause mayhem in general. If they can coax Christians to hurt each other, they can create divisions, and a house divided against itself cannot stand.


I want to warn everyone, including myself, that we need to stay close to Jesus, guard our hearts and repent often.


Avoiding Deception


My wife and I asked God how to avoid being deceived and were led to this verse:

"The rod has budded; arrogance has blossomed." - Ezekiel 7:10


Pride is a soul killer and an open door for deception. If we think we have it all figured out, and won't let God continue to teach and mold us, then we are setting ourselves up for deception. Spiritual discernment begins with humility and purity of heart. It's not about intelligence or education or belonging to the right club. God did not choose Moses to lead the nation of Israel because Moses had all the "right answers." He chose Moses because he was humble:


"Now the man Moses was very humble, more than any man who was on the face of the earth." - Numbers 12:3


In contrast, the spirit of America, which is the daughter of Babylon or mystery Babylon in the Scriptures, is PRIDE:


"Now, then, hear this, you sensual one, who dwells securely, who says in your heart, 'I am, and there is no one besides me. I will not sit as a widow, nor know loss of children.'" - Isaiah 47:8


And pride comes before the fall:


"Pride goes before destruction, and arrogance before failure." - Proverbs 16:18


In fact, any sin creates an open door for the enemy to slip in deceptions. This is why we have to listen to the Holy Spirit, read the Bible, stay true to its teaching and repent often.


To read the second part of this post, click here.

1 comment:

Stig-Ove said...

The Rod has blossomed! Interesting view that one as i remember Jesus saying we are the grafts and he is the vine that carries us. My thought on this is that those WHO let arrogance blossom lets other things grow within them of non scriptural seed. A clear and present danger!
Hence IT is important to plead the blood of Christs cleansing effect on us daily or as often as possible to curb or kill the growth of these blossoming arrogant issues.

Excellent post Mike, now to part 2